- Tacocat: Eric, Emily, Lelah, Bree
- Note: Lelah is wearing a Meryl Streep shirt
- Emily: Hi! I’m Emily.
- Bree: Hey! I’m Bree!
What do you do?:
- Emily: I sing and play tambourine.
- Bree: And I play bass guitar and yelp backups sometimes.
What informs/inspires your style?:
- Emily: I’m inspired by my best friends and band mates, Lelah, Bree, and Eric. I’m also inspired/informed by Blade Runner, my teenage self, the 1990s’ idea of technology and the future, the actual future, and The Craft. To name a few.
- Bree: Um, Babes in Toyland and Hole. Like, Em I also like shamelessly ripping off style ideas from my stylish n’ creative bandmates, it’s really the best. Also, my lady friends in other amazing bands have the best style-to name a few, Robin from Lisa Prank, Marisa in Mannequin Pussy, Ali from Upset and Nicole and Rachel in Slutever.
All-time number one favorite thing to wear:
- Emily: It’s been about 14 years since I’ve had a “natural” hair color, so I guess I enjoy wearing crazy hair dye the most. The rest of my fashion comes and go based on what my hair’s doing :)
- Bree: I love black leather boots. And I walk everywhere and wear them every day for every season, so I do love when I can find some that don’t fall apart. Frye’s have disappointed me in the past, but my current Dr. Marten’s have been going pretty strong.
What’s something you’ve been thinking about a lot lately?:
- Emily: I’ve been thinking a lot about travel and how great it is to knock the cobwebs out of your brain and escape your everyday environment. We’re going on two tours this fall, the second one is to Europe, and I can’t thinking about all the travel options! It’s like, two months away, but I’m already nervous about what to pack. So excited!
- Bree: I’ve been thinking about how good that band Girlpool is. They are a teenage duo that are writing super personal punk songs on just bass and guitar-they are basically a punk rock Liz Phair.
Current non-fashion obsession:
- Emily: I’ve been obsessed with the strawberry Starburst sorbet popsicles that only seem to be for sale at the mini-mart by my house. Also obsessing over: Lisa Hanawalt’s weird/wonderful book (of hilarious cartoons and words) called My Dumb Dirty Eyes, and revisiting the high-school jams of Jimmy Eat World now that the seasons are changing and I’m feeling a teen with some angst to burn.
- Bree: My roomates and I have been obsessed with the new S record “Cool Choices…” it’s a total heartfelt breakup record that we have been listening while we go through our boxes of old photos and letters. We’ve been calling them “Feelings Parties.”
What helps you feel confidence about your body, style, and general sense of self?:
- Bree: This summer, I felt so inspired by friends and acquaintances that are shattering these oppressive body image “norms” just by posting selfies on social media under hastags like #Fatkini or with captions like “How to get a bikini body: duh, just put on a bikini.” Just having safe spaces for that kind of super body positive self image filtering through your daily dredge of internet stuff is really beautiful and inspiring. It makes me realize that our generation is actually working towards a shift towards a better feminist future, and the change is actually happening slowly around us.
- Emily: Totally agreed. I feel more confident now than I ever have, which I think happens when you get a little older and get your head outta your ass, but probably also because I’m surrounded by rad women and allies of rad women who are actively shifting toward being enlightened humans with body-positive future-brains. I seriously think that traditional beauty norms are “going out of style” slowly but surely. Which rules.
What’s it mean to be a Broad?:
- Bree: It’s funny, but some of my friends and I were just talking about how when we think of the word “broad,” we think of Roz from Frasier. Maybe because of her sex positive, brazen outlook on the female experience and the way she exudes strength- Roz is the ultimate Broad.
- Emily: OMG Bree nailed it. Roz! And maybe that lady from Titanic. Molly Brown? Played by Kathy Bates, who also seems like a brazen broad in real life (and in Misery, gawd that movie too!).